Historically, TV advertising has seen a lot of success in the B2C space. Ecommerce brands, direct-to-consumer brands, and other companies that sell products or services to individuals have all utilized TV advertising to great effect. But what about B2B companies? Should they use television advertising to reach their target audiences?
What is TV advertising and how does it work?
TV advertising is the process of using television to promote a product. It can take many different forms, from traditional commercial spots to more modern integrations and sponsorships. But how does it actually work?
First, advertisers need to decide what target audience they want to reach. Then, they need to develop a creative concept that will resonate with that audience. Once the ad is created, it needs to be tested to ensure that it is effective. Finally, the ad is placed on TV stations or networks that reach the target audience.
TV advertising can be a powerful tool for promoting products, but it is important to understand how it works before diving in.
The benefits of TV advertising for B2B companies
B2B companies can tremendously benefit from TV advertising for numerous reasons, including:
1. TV advertising can reach a wide audience.
A well-executed TV advertising campaign can reach a wide audience of potential customers for B2B companies. By placing ads on popular networks and during high-traffic timeslots, B2B companies can ensure that their message is seen by a large number of people.
Additionally, TV advertising allows companies to target specific demographics with precision, ensuring that their ads are seen by the people who are most likely to be interested in their products or services.
2. TV advertising is highly engaging.
TV ads are designed to be highly engaging, with compelling visuals and sound. While some forms of advertising can be easy to tune out, TV commercials have a unique ability to capture attention and leave a lasting impression.
Numerous studies have shown that TV advertising is highly effective, with viewers retaining up to 95% of a message when it is delivered via this medium. In addition, TV commercials are often more emotional than other types of advertising, which can help to increase engagement and create a more powerful connection with viewers.
3. You can use it to generate first-party data.
First-party data is critical to the success of any marketing campaign, especially in B2B marketing. This data is collected directly from customers and can be used to create targeted campaigns that are more likely to convert.
First-party data is used for numerous purposes, including:
- B2B Retargeting
TV advertising can be a great way to generate this data, as it allows companies to collect information about viewers who interact with their ads. This data can then be used to create more targeted and effective marketing campaigns that are more likely to convert leads into customers, including in B2B programmatic advertising campaigns.
The drawbacks of TV advertising for B2B companies
While television advertising can be an effective way to reach a wide audience, it may not be the best choice for every business. In particular, businesses that sell products or services to other businesses (B2B) may find that linear TV advertising is not as effective as other marketing channels.
There are several reasons for this. First, linear TV advertising is generally more expensive than other forms of advertising, such as online ads or print ads. Because of its price, it may not fit in the budget for startups, bootstrapped businesses, and small service businesses.
Second, the vast majority of TV viewers are individuals, not businesses. As a result, B2B companies may have difficulty reaching their target market through TV ads.
Finally, TV ads are often geared towards consumers, not businesses. This means that they may not include the information that B2B buyers are looking for, such as product specifications or pricing.
For these reasons, B2B companies should carefully consider whether traditional TV advertising is the right choice for their business. A better approach may be to use connected TV advertising, which offers the mass market appeal of traditional TV advertising, while offering the best components of digital marketing campaign tracking.
How to measure the success of your TV advertising campaign
There are a few metrics to look at when measuring the success of your B2B campaign.
- Reach: How many people saw your ad?
- Frequency: How often did they see it?
- Engagement: Did they take any action after seeing the ad, such as visiting your website or calling your company?
- Sales: Did you see an increase in sales after running the campaign?
- Cost per sale: How much did you spend on the campaign for each sale generated?
- Lifetime value of a customer: How much revenue will the customer generate over their lifetime?
In order to get these metrics, you’ll need to track your TV advertising campaign carefully. This means setting up tracking pixels or using a service that tracks ad exposure and engagement through a CTV ad platform.
Once you have this data, you can begin to measure the success of your TV advertising campaign and make changes accordingly.
Tips for creating a successful TV advertising campaign
Creating a successful TV advertising campaign requires more than just buying airtime and creating a commercial. It takes careful planning, research, and attention to detail to produce an ad that will capture viewers’ attention and achieve your marketing goals.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when creating a TV ad campaign:
- Know your target audience. Before you can create an effective ad, you need to know who you’re targeting. Who are your ideal customers? What are their demographics? What are their interests and needs? Once you have a clear idea of who you’re trying to reach, you can create an ad that resonates with them.
- Keep it simple. A commercial should be concise and to the point. Viewers have short attention spans, so make sure your ad gets its message across quickly and clearly. Typically, your ad will last around 30 seconds, but you should capture their attention within the first few.
- Use engaging visuals. Advertisements should be visually appealing to grab viewers’ attention. Use color, movement, and animation wisely to create an eye-catching ad. If you have a brand, make sure these visuals are consistent with your brand.
- Use a compelling call to action. A call to action is essential in any commercial because it tells viewers what they should do after they see your ad (e.g., visit your website, call your store, etc.). The call to action doesn’t need to be direct, but it should be clear. Without a call to action, your ad will be ineffective.
TV advertising can be a powerful marketing tool, but it’s not right for every business. Before you invest in a TV ad campaign, carefully consider your target audience, budget, and goals. If done correctly, TV advertising can help you reach a wider audience and generate better leads and sales.
Image Source: BigStockPhoto.com (Licensed)
The Content in this post and on this site is for informational and entertainment purposes only. You should not construe any such information or other material as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice. Nothing contained on our Site constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, endorsement, or offer by HII or any third party service provider to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments.
Nothing in this post or on this site constitutes professional and/or financial advice. You alone assume the sole responsibility of evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of any information or other content in this post or on this site.
You recognize that when making investments, an investor may get back less than the amount invested. Information on past performance, where given, is not necessarily a guide to future performance.
Related Categories: Work, Reviews