Omega and Rolex are two of the most renowned Swiss luxury watch manufacturers in the world. Both brands have been around quite some time and as a result, have a wide range of magnificent timepieces on offer.
But when it comes to choosing the number one spot, which is the more deserving?
To help establish the answer to this question, let’s first break it down a little and look at individual aspects of each:
- Water resistance: Both watchmakers are responsible for producing some fantastic diver’s watches. The Omega Seamaster ProProf is capable of withstanding up to 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) when it comes to water resistance.
And while that sounds pretty good, it’s not a patch on what the Rolex Deepsea series can do. These watches have a water resistance up to 12,800 feet (3.900 meters), which is over 3 times more!
- Magnetic resistance: Every electronic device made by man causes the emitting of electromagnetic frequencies (EMF). Unfortunately, much to the annoyance of watchmakers, these frequencies are known to mess up the timekeeping of mechanical watches.
Thankfully, manufacturers have found a solution for this, in the way of antimagnetic watches. Both Omega and Rolex produce watches with this attribute. The Rolex Milgauss has a magnetic resistance up to 1000 gauss.
However, any Omega watch featuring a Master Co-Axial Chronometer or a Master Chronometer has been tested against (and survived) a magnetic exposure of a staggering 15,000 gausses (15 times more than that of the Rolex Milgauss).
- Price: Remember, both Omega and Rolex are luxury watchmakers, and as such, both carry quite a hefty price tag. That being said, a new Rolex will probably cost around double that of an Omega. A budget-friendly option can be buying a preowned Rolex watch at certified watch resellers.
- Brand recognition: If getting noticed is important to you, and you want people to know straight away that you’re wearing a luxury watch, then you’re better off with a Rolex. Having a recognized watch also means that it will be easier to sell your Rolex watch when you get bored or simply find yourself in need of some cash.
Rolex is the most widely recognized watch brand in the world, with almost 100% international brand recognition. Omega is second, but with an international brand recall of closer to 70%, which is a pretty significant difference.
- Warranty: In terms of warranty, these watchmakers are even, with both offering a 5-year warranty on all their watches.
- Accuracy: Both Omega and Rolex go through a string of tough quality control checks while being made, and as a result, both produce some of the most precise timepieces the world has ever seen.
However, in terms of overall accuracy, the award would have to go to Omega, simply because they still sell a few Quartz watches.While both watchmaker’s mechanical watches are pretty even in terms of precision, Quartz watches will always be far more accurate than any mechanical version.
There are many iconic timepieces by Rolex, and they are the chosen brand for many top celebrities. However, there are also a good number of quality offerings from Omega too, who equally have their own set of prestigious followers.
Whichever brand you decide upon, at least you can be sure of one thing: both are top quality watchmakers who put a lot of time, money and effort into getting these designs perfected for their customers.
Image Source: Bigstock.com (Licensed)
Related Categories: Fashion & Gear, Reviews