Gaming is no longer just a pastime for kids, it’s a college degree, an online sport, and a career choice. With money to be made and degrees to be earned, video games and gamers are now taken very seriously. In fact, in 2013, gamers were officially recognized as professional athletes.
Gamers are on a constant course to better their scores, increase their grades and become the best at what they do. Although they are not partaking in physically exhausting activities in which they exert an excessive amount of stress on their bodies, they do put a tremendous amount of stress on their brain.
Just as many athletes, they rely on external substances to give them the extra boost they may need. Unfortunately, a growing number of gamers have become reliant on energy drinks and other forms of enhancers that are quick-acting, inexpensive and easy to obtain. They may boost cognitive thinking, but they also have terrible side effects and many of them cause energy crashes after the highs.
Due to the strict regulations for performance-enhancing substances that have been set for gamers by the Electronic Sports League or ESL, methods such as nootropics for cognitive enhancement are becoming more popular in the gaming world to “up” scores, provide focus, and increase mood. Most nootropics provide an excellent and healthy alternative to high stimulative substances or powerful prescription-based enhancers such as Ritalin or Adderall. They have been proven safe, extremely effective, and abide by the World Anti-Doping Agency, or WADA standards for clean usage. Most nootropics can be purchased over the counter or purchased online, and provide the body with nutrients it could highly benefit from overall.
Nootropics for Improving Your Game
Whether a beginner playing for fun, or a professional putting in long practice hours, nootropics offer a safe way to enhance a gaming experience. Here is a list of the most recommended natural supplements:
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine and B vitamins. While some people find gaming an extremely relaxing method to unwind, there has been evidence suggesting that gaming causes structural damage to the brain’s dopaminergic pathway system. Tyrosine is often referred to as the premier anti-stress amino acid. It is one of the key tools the body uses to create dopamine, the brain’s positive rewards system. However, when overstimulated ad stressed by long gaming sessions, Tyrosine levels often decrease. That is why it is great to supplement with the vitamin. When mixed with Bs, the result is an extended and amazing “feel good” gaming session.
- Caffeine + L-Theanine. As the most commonly used natural substance in the world for energy and focus, caffeine is a supplement highly regarded by gamers. Offset by the meditative and calming effects of the amino acid Theanine, the combination of the two can bring a powerful punch to gamers. Together their synergy provides an increase in speed and accuracy while simultaneously reducing the side effects of caffeine jitters. Known as one of the original nootropics, green tea is a natural host to both and provides an abundance of health benefits for the gamer that goes beyond cognitive such as boosting metabolism and fighting cancer.
- Citicoline. This nootropic has been deemed one of the best nootropics for gamers for its acute cognitive enhancing abilities. It has been proven to optimize a player’s memory abilities for Real Time Strategy or RTS gaming which allows them to recall the strategic information they may need spontaneously.
- Rhodiola Rosea. This adaptogenic herb aids in mental performance and cognitive clarity. Historically it has been used by Olympic athletes, astronauts, soldiers, and farmers to protect both physical and mental stamina through stressful situations. Whether the body needs assistance with extreme temperature regulation or dealing with stressful situations, adaptogens help the body “adapt”. Unlike many other nootropics that require long-term use before effects can be seen or felt, Rhodiola Rosea is one dose benefits great for gamers on the fly.
- Cordyceps. The nootropic most notorious for improving typing and finger speed and accuracy. It has become extremely helpful in action based games where a gamers reaction time differentiates a win from a loss. It a winning combination of benefits for gamers as it has also been proven to increase energy, mood, and focus, enhance memory and learning, while decreasing fatigue, impulsivity, and anxiety.
While not listed here, turmeric is another supplement known to improve overall brain health and slow the brain aging process. Studies show, among the many turmeric uses, it can slow the progression of Alzheimer’s and improve DHA synthesis, a critical aspect of memory and learning.
Whether gaming is done for recreation with friends, or at professional levels for high stake awards and prizes, players can benefit healthwise by supplementing with a nootropic of their choice. There are now many companies that offer combinations of the above natural supplements formulated explicitly for providing exactly what gamers need to get an edge on their competitors; longer gaming times increased focus and overall brain health.
Image Source: BigStock.com (licensed)
Related Categories: Games, Reviews, Tech