Roof replacement is not something that you can take lightly. The more you take things for granted, the more you will have to pay at a later stage. Once you hire a roofing company, they will be in charge of all aspects of the work, from sourcing materials and crews to installing the new roof and cleaning up afterwards. With so much at stake in such an important endeavour, it’s important that homeowners know what to look for when choosing a qualified roofing contractor in Calgary.
Research the reputation of any roofing company you may hire: You will find ample roof replacement companies on the internet that provide professional services. You can also search roof cleaning near me to find the best companies in your proximity. Once you find a company, search how well they are reputed in the industry. It will be wise if you take this step before hiring them because it’s often too late once you have made payment.
Finding a reputed and qualified roofing contractor is essential so as not to regret later on when there is an issue with the quality of materials or workmanship. The best way to do this is by checking reviews online from verified customers who had dealings with such businesses in the past. Remember, though, that many times these comments may come from disgruntled clients who did not get what they wanted, so be sure to analyze their complaints and weigh the pros with the cons.
Ask for previous work samples:
A professional roof replacement company will always have many previous work samples of their jobs. They are usually available on request and can be seen first-hand to better picture the quality work you can expect from them. You can also find their work on their website or social media handles to understand how their work is. Seeing their work samples will make it easier for you to make an informed decision.
Find out how long they have been in business: A company that is just starting up may not be the best bet as it doesn’t really show experience, and a roofer with no reviews or social media presence could also be someone who has yet to prove themselves worthy of your trust. It’s better to find their years of establishment to ensure that they have been doing business for several years.
- Experience in your area: Ensure that the contractor has experience working in your area’s climate; if they don’t, then any contractors’ estimates for materials and labour might not stand up against reality as it is different depending on where you’re located. Roofs need to be carefully designed according to local weather conditions, so make sure you get someone who knows what they’re doing!
- Introduce yourself personally:
It’s best not to just leave it up to an automated service line when choosing a qualified company. Instead, introduce yourself directly with the representative and voice your concerns clearly so as to get personalized responses in return. You can talk with their customer support team on the phone or by email, but it’s best to speak with them in person so you can take notes right away and get an accurate quote.
Company profiles: The company should have all required licenses and certifications as well as insurance coverage from reputable sources. They also need experience with each type of roofing materials installed on their roofs, like shingle roofs made out of asphalt/sand, so they don’t have to outsource.
Protect your investment by selecting a company that does as much of the work themselves and is willing to offer you references from previous clients so that you can talk directly to them before signing anything!
Ask for insurance:
A reputable roofing contractor will always carry liability insurance that covers all aspects of any damages or injuries they might cause while working at your house. The company should have all required licenses and certifications as well as insurance coverage from reputable sources. Ensure you check all these things before signing anything.
- Go with a company that has experience: There’s no better way to ensure quality workmanship than by choosing an experienced roofing contractor who knows the best ways of handling all aspects of their job. The more years they’ve been in business, the less likely it is for them to be a fly-by-night operation. They will also take care of other issues surrounding your roofs, such as gutters and downspouts. In addition, they know how to handle all the materials, so they don’t leave messy chunks of asphalt on your driveway or spackle residue in your living room from trying to reach the rooftop.
- Look at the warranty: The roofing company needs to have a good reputation and be willing to stand behind their work. Your best bet is one that offers you some type of warranty on your new roofs, such as ten years or more for labour, materials, and installation. Make sure all these things are included in the contract before signing anything.
- Estimate materials: When choosing a roofing contractor, it’s important to have an estimate of how much you’ll be spending upfront. This will help your chosen contractor give you a more accurate quote as well. Also, keep in mind what type of material you want. For instance, tile roofs tend to cost less than slate or metal ones. Also, find what region they are located in so there can be some variance with prices depending on the project’s size and scope.
- Get a written cost estimate from at least three companies:
It is always best to get at least three estimates from qualified contractors in order to make a decision. Don’t choose the first one you call or see on the internet. Be sure not to solely rely on your gut or pick the cheapest estimate without considering other factors such as quality of work, materials used and customer service provided.
Plan for potential replacement needs: A number of homeowners only think about replacement needs when they see a leak. However, it is important to start preparing for these expenses in advance through budgeting and setting aside funds. Besides, see if you really need a replacement or repairing your roof is enough for the time being.
Choosing an experienced roofing contractor is a critical decision. It can be overwhelming with so many choices, but these tips will help you through the process!
Image Source: BigStockPhoto.com (Licensed)
Related Categories: Home, Reviews