The United States is undoubtedly one of the best places to be for people of all ages. Located in Northern America, the U.S. for a very long time has been on the top of the must visit list of tourists from all parts of the world. People from all walks of life do come here to get jobs or start business and to secure their financial life as well as to enjoy the modern facilities and amenities it has to offer. But there are also people who do visit the different states of the U.S. merely to enjoy its beauty and unique heritage.
Visiting San Francisco is a fabulous thing to do. Although this city is geographically small covering just 49 sq. miles, it is definitely ‘big’ with regards to amenities and attractions. Therefore, you can get to see many things and indulge in numerous activities within a short time span.
Top things to do
- Fisherman’s Wharf: It is considered to be PIER 39’s home, waterfront festive market and one of the city’s popular attractions. You can come across huge number of California sea lions here on the docks in PIER 39 Marina. Watching their antics is sure to entertain you and your kids thoroughly. From there, you can get to see the favorite attractions of the area like Madame Tussauds, Francisco Dungeon, Cartoon Art Museum, 3D Illusion Museum, the historic Boudin Bakery and Ripley’s Believe It or Not. You also get the choice to taste variety of delicious food options.
- Alcatraz: It was once a highly notorious prison, located on Alcatraz Island in the midst of San Francisco Bay. Few of the most notorious criminals in U.S. history had been incarcerated there. This prison is stated to be a high tight one, such that not a single successful jailbreak has been registered from ‘The Rock’ until it closed permanently in 1960s. There are some interesting and mysterious stories about the Alcatraz. So a visit to this prison will be fascinating. There are offered guided cell-house tours which help you to explore the grounds and buildings. From Pier 33, you are to avail Alcatraz Cruises.
- Cable Cars: These have a long history and have been operating since 19th Tracks are created to run the cars and moved along three routes by underground cable. From blocks away, you can get to hear its bell ringing. The ride, both ways, are sure to offer spectacular and bird’s view of the city’s most celebrated hills and the ride is simply exhilarating.
- Golden Gate Bridge: It is one of the world’s famous bridges, which does impress travelers due to its gorgeous 1.7 mile span. On a daily basis, about 120,000 vehicles are said to use it. There is also created a pedestrian walkway. It is worthy to take a selfie and photos of the bridge as the background.
- Parks: If you love to stroll in a park where nature and fresh air abounds, then Dolores Park is the perfect choice. It covers an area of 16 acres and is grassy, where you can picnic, watch others, lounge, play or just relax. Pesidio is considered to be another favorite. You also can come across scenic spots at the iconic and stunning Golden Gate Park, Conservatory of Flowers as well as California Science Academy.
- Walking Tour: Going on foot is perhaps the best thing to explore the region. There is offered Wild SF-Walking Tours, where you get Castro and Mission Dist. Tour, food crawl and the Haunted Ghost Tour. At Oracles Park, you can check out ‘Go behind the scenes’, considered to be home to city giants. You can get access to players’ luxury suites, dugout, etc. Foodies can also enjoy walking tours and get to taste the local culinary delicacies. At the same time, you can get to know in details about the city’s culture and food history especially in neighborhoods like Chinatown, North Beach, etc.
- Outdoor Festival: These are considered to be a popular activity meant for all ages. During May to October summer months is held the ‘Yerba Buena Gardens Festival’, which hosts cultural, shopping and dining activities targeting the whole family. ‘Stern Grove Festival’ is a tradition here that is followed since 1938. This outdoor music festival is held for free and welcomed performers such as Talib Kweli, Doobie Brothers and others. Every October is held the ‘Bluegrass Music Festival’ at the Golden Gate Park.
- Visit a Show: San Francisco does boast of being a music hub catering to all genres, ranging from jazz to hip hop to pop and rock. Venues like The Masonic, The Warfield Theater, The Fillmore are few of the legendary music halls that witnesses popular musicians from across the globe playing their best here. These historic venues have witnessed some past musical acts like Jimi Hendrix, MGMT, Prince and several others. Concerts, workshops and classes are hosted by SF JAZZ Center to help and promote budding musicians.
- Visit Presidio: Once this place was a military base that has been presently converted into a National Historical Landmark District and National Park, popular for culture, art and natural beauty. If travelling with children, do visit Walt Disney Family Museum that is sure to mesmerize your family with its interactive Disney artifacts and exhibits.
- Illuminate SF: This is actually an ongoing light art festival showcasing 30+ installations that are scattered all over the 17 neighborhood of this amazing city. You can admire light art created on the sidewalks, buildings, cars and restaurants.
- Enjoy biking and check out the different interesting sights: Biking is very much encouraged here. Being a small city, it is really easy to move around and check out the innumerous attractions which are located near one another. There is definitely no problem with parking the bike as it takes very less space or you can enter one of the parks, if it permits. You can also get involved in bike tours using attraction passes and explore the city and its surroundings.
Booking the best hotels in San Francisco is sure to help you enjoy your stay here.
Image source: Pexels.com