A glowing white perfect smile is what every person wants. Agonizingly, not everyone is blessed with that smile. While some individuals have crooked teeth spoiling their smile, many have properly aligned teeth, which are less than perfectly pearly whites, preventing them from having a perfect smile. Crooked teeth definitely warrant correction by a qualified dentist. But there are certain home remedies which might help you to get a brighter and whiter smile at home.
Trying to whiten your teeth at home is like buying a lottery on PlayHugeLottos, you can keep trying until you win the jackpot of a pearly white smile!
There are various products that you can try to whiten your smile at home, starting from toothpaste, mouth rinses, chewing gums, and gels. But the first and foremost thing to remember is that there is no alternative to regular brushing and flossing.
Depending on the timeframe in which you want to whiten your teeth, you can start using products that are mechanically abrasive, or use chemicals to whiten your teeth.
- Whitening toothpaste contains coarse abrasives and polishing agents in order to remove stains. Although a cheaper alternative, they can take quite a long time to show effect.
- Mouthwashes containing mild concentrations of hydrogen peroxide, when used in combination with whitening toothpaste, are known to have a better effect on some individuals.
- The most effective way of getting whiter teeth at home is by using a bleaching system. You can get custom made trays fabricated by a dentist, or buy ready-made bleaching trays at a pharmacy, along with peroxide-based bleaching gel. These bleaching trays, which are similar to night guards, are to be worn for several hours a day, for many days, in order to see their full benefits.
If you are looking for more traditional methods that do not require any specialized products and are much easier on your pocket, there are a few ways in which you can do that too.
- Mix a little amount of baking soda with water and apply it on your teeth. Let it stay for about 1-2 minutes and rinse it off. This can help whiten your teeth. But use this method sparingly as excessive use of baking soda can erode the enamel.
- Apple cider vinegar has been used for a long time in attempts to whiten teeth. Rub some apple cider vinegar daily on your teeth, and rinse off thoroughly after a few minutes. This method might take time to show effect but can work wonders in some individuals.
- Traditional Indian remedies to whiten teeth include oil pulling, which calls for swishing sesame oil around the mouth, to `pull out´ bacteria which convert to plaque and cause yellow teeth.
- Improving diet can help in maintaining the whiteness of teeth and prevent them from staining. Strong tea/coffee, sodas, red wine are known to cause stained teeth. Use of tobacco in any form also leads to staining. Limiting your sugar intake can help avoid the formation of plaque and caries.
Home remedies can provide only some amount of respite from stained teeth. If your teeth are yellow naturally, or stained due to some deficiencies, it is always better to consult a qualified dentist to decide the course of treatment.
Image Source: BigStock.com (Licensed)