So, you want to buy a home. That’s great! But if you are like most people, you have an idea of what you want and where, but not how to find it. That’s where a real estate agent comes in. A real estate agent can help you locate potential properties and move through the lending, contract, and closing processes.
Of course, you want to choose a real estate agent that is appropriate for your area and goals. Not sure where to start? You can learn a lot just by asking a real estate agent some specific questions. Take a look at these tips from Mr. Real Estate, a leading Black real estate agent in Boston.
10 Questions to Ask Your Real Estate Agent
There are some important questions you can ask your real estate agent that will help you feel more confident and in control of the home buying process. Some are more relevant early on in the process, and others may pop up later. Let’s take a look.
- Can I take a look at your real estate license? A real estate agent should be able to quickly show you their credentials.
- How long have you worked in real estate? Sometimes, working with an agent who has a lot of experience can yield better results. There’s nothing wrong with choosing a newly-licensed agent, but with experience comes knowledge in the field that can’t be replaced.
- Do you have any referrals I can talk to? Your real estate agent will likely have a ready supply of referrals. Ask for them and follow up.
- Are you familiar with this neighborhood? Your agent doesn’t have to be familiar with the neighborhood, but it can help. At the very least, they should be familiar with the area.
- Will you be my agent, or will I be working with other members of your team? It’s a good idea to find out who’s who at the agent’s office. You may be working just with them, or you may work with several people through the process.
- Can you explain the home buying process for me? The real estate market changes. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the process as it is now. Even if you’ve bought a home in the past, it’s likely changed somewhat.
- How will you choose homes for me to consider? Real estate agents have access to MLS and other listings that give a lot of info about homes in the area. Find out how they will share that information with you.
- Are there any area factors that I should consider? If you are looking at a home in a rapidly-growing area, you may find that prices are higher, or that they are likely to increase in the near future.
- How much are closing costs? Every state has guidelines for closing costs. These costs range based on the type of loan, how much the home is, title and broker fees, etc. You can likely get an estimate of those costs, but be prepared for that number to change as you iron out the details of your loan.
- Do I have to pay you during closing? It is not unreasonable to ask your real estate agent if their commission will be paid during closing, and ask who is responsible. In most cases, the seller is responsible for paying the commission, which is then split between the seller’s and buyer’s agents.
By asking the right questions, you can fairly simply find out if a real estate agent is right for you. Similarly, by asking questions along the way, you can make sure that you and your agent are on the same page and have the same goals in mind.
Image Source: BigStockPhoto.com (Licensed)